resOS requires a valid VAT number for business in the EU, in order to avoid having to pay 25% VAT. If you are experiencing issues validating the VAT number in resOS or are curious as to why we do so, take a look below.
Why is my VAT number validation saying invalid?
- This is because your VAT number isn't registered for intra-community trade.
- When you are a company based in the European Union and you want to use resOS, then you need to be registered for intra-community trade. If you haven't done this, then you will have to pay 25% VAT on top of your subscription package.
- In most of the countries within the EU, a company is normally registered for intra-community trade immediately once creating a VAT number. This is however not the case for all countries, and we are aware of the fact that Spain, Italy & Portugal has to make this registration separately.
Why and how do we check & verify your VAT number in VIES?
- Businesses that are registered for EU intra-community trade will be shown in VIES (VAT Information Exchange System).
- We will compare and verify your VAT number in your resOS account with the VIES.
- You can use this service to check if you are eligible for intra-community trade; https://www.valdit.com/en-gb
- We do this because it is required by law, and because you have a VAT number which means you are classified as a company, then we need to verify it.
How do I fix this?
- Contact your local tax or VAT office and register your current VAT number for intra-community trade.