resOS guides you to set up table management for your restaurant and set up your areas and tables in the system. With this guide for how to set up table management, you will quickly be ready to allow your guests to book your available tables and areas.
Choose table management
To enable table management, go to your resOS profile and choose "Settings" and thereafter "Booking". Via the menu 'New online bookings,' you can choose whether you want to manually confirm bookings, or if you want bookings to be confirmed automatically. If you wish reservations to be confirmed automatically, the guests will be able to book your available times only. The bookings will automatically be confirmed in the system. Via 'managing tables', you can choose whether tables should automatically be connected to a booking.
Select one of our main combinations
The flexibility of the system allows you to select the combination that suits you the most.
Combo 1 The system will automatically accept the bookings and you will manually select the tables or tables combinations
Combo 2 You can set up the tables (in order of areas and priority). The system will then automatically select the table and confirm the booking
Combo 3 You can either "add tables to bookings automatically" or "manually add tables to bookings but you will manually approve or decline the reservation
Setting default booking duration and interval
To choose the time interval for bookings, scroll down the page to "Time interval", which defines the time between available times shown to guests when they book a table online. E.g. if the interval is set to "0:30" (0 hours, 30 minutes) and your restaurant opens at 10:00, the guests can make reservations at 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, etc.
On the same page, you can set the "Default duration" of a booking. This is the duration of a booking made by guests online will have - and the default duration set on bookings created by the staff. This should include turnaround time as the table will be available for reservations after this duration. The format is hours: minutes. For example, if the guests have the table for 2 hours, and you need 15 minutes to clear the table, you can set the duration to 2:15.
Adding and managing tables
Tables are managed on your resOS profile. Go to "Settings" and "Tables". Here you can add areas and tables, and define if they can be booked, in which order (priority) they should be booked, for how many people, and if the tables can be combined. Let's give it a try.
Add and edit the restaurant areas
In the menu "Areas and Tables", you can add the restaurant areas and tables to the system. Different areas can e.g. be the main restaurant room, the 2nd floor and an outdoor area. Start by clicking the "Add area" button. This will then open the area form:
The area form contains:
- Area name: the name of the area
- Booking priority: defines in which order tables in this area are booked compared to the other areas of your restaurant. Tables in a high priority area will be booked before tables in a lower-priority area.
- Note to guests: An optional note regarding the area, shown to the guests when making a booking, if they are allowed to choose between areas and this area is "bookable online"
- Internal note: an optional internal note shown to staff when choosing a table in this area in the booking form.
- Bookable: if enabled restaurant staff can book tables in this area. This setting supersedes the bookable setting on tables is this area.
- Bookable online: if enabled guests can book tables in this area online. Only possible if "Bookable" is also enabled. This setting supersedes the bookable online setting on tables is this area.
Multiple areas can be added in the same way.
After adding an area it will be visible on the "Tables" page and you can easily edit it by clicking the pen icon.
Add and edit the tables
Tables are added to an area by clicking the "Add table" button in an area. When clicked the table form will open:
The table form contains:
- Table name: the name of the table, typically e.g. "Table 1" or "Table 21".
- Seats minimum: the minimum number of people that can be seated at this table. The table will not be available for booking with fewer people than this number.
- Seats maximum: the maximum number of people that can be seated at this table. The table will only be available for bookings with more people than the maximum number if it is combinable with other tables (see below).
- Booking priority: defines in which order this table is booked compared to the other tables in this area. Tables with a high priority will be booked before tables with a lower priority.
- Internal note: an optional internal note shown to staff when choosing this table in the booking form.
- Bookable: if enabled restaurant staff can book this table.
- Bookable online: if enabled guests can book this table online. Only possible if "Bookable" is also enabled.
A table can be edited by clicking the pen icon on the right.
In the menu 'Table Combinations" you can choose, which tables can be combined for larger groups. Click on ''+Add combination', and select the tables that can be combined and how the tables can be booked.
Here you can combine tables in the system that can be physically combined in the restaurant. E.g. you can choose that tables 1 and 2 can be combined, while also table 2 and 3 can be combined. The system will automatically figure out that if e.g. table 1 is combinable with table 2 and table 2 is combinable with table 3, then tables 1, 2 and 3 can also be combined for a single booking.
Duplicate tables to set up faster
As we know that a lot of restaurants have many tables in the same size, we have made it easy to duplicate a table. Simply click the duplicate icon next to the table you want to duplicate.
If you have e.g. 5 tables that can have 1-2 guests, named "Table 10" to "Table 15", simply create "Table 10" and click the duplicate icon and "Table 11" will automatically be added with the same settings as "Table 10". Then click "Table 11" to make "Table 12" etc.
A table can be moved up or down in the list by holding and dragging the sort icon (6 grey dots) to the right of a table.
Deleting areas and tables
Areas and tables can be deleted by clicking the trashcan icon to the right of the area or table.
If an area is deleted, all tables in the area are also deleted.
Please be aware that any future bookings for a table that is deleted have to be moved manually to another table.
We hope that this guide about table management for your restaurant has been useful. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contacting us on [email protected].